Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Fish Tacos

Every year about this time my Dad and Mary go over to the coast and get tuna and we can it. I always like to take some of the nicer parts and make some dinners out of it and then I preserve the rest. It is really the biggest difference to can the tuna yourself. It is not mushy at all and I will never go back to store bought if I can help it:)
Last night I made fish tacos with the tuna and it turned out pretty darned good. I have made it with several different kinds of fish. You can really use just about anything you like. I have made it with cod, halibut, flounder and the tuna of course. I have also had them in restaurants using salmon so it really runs the spectrum on what kind looks good and fresh.

Fish Tacos

This recipe is really subjective to how many you are making. I will use the portions I would do for Jake and I and you just add to it based on having more portions. It is like most of my dinners kind of a formula more than a recipe..

  • 1 lb of fish, cut into 1 inch wide strips or chunks
  • 1/2 cup milk or half and half
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 3 Tbs canola oil

  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 tsp southwest seasoning or could use a little cayenne and mostly paprika
  • 1 tsp lemon juice

To serve:

  • 6 corn tortillas, warmed in the oven if you like
  • mango salsa (See below)
  • shredded lettuce or cabbage (whatever you prefer)
  • cilantro leaves (optional)

In a shallow bowl or pie plate combine the milk or half and half and the salt and pepper. Put the fish in the milk and marinate it for as long as you have15-2 hours is fine.

In a small bowl combine the sour cream, seasoning and lemon juice and place in the refrigerator to meld the flavors.

I normally get all of the accompaniments together and let the salsa set while the fish is soaking and then I can pull it all together quickly when the fish is done. In a medium skillet heat up the oil over medium heat. In another shallow dish put in the flour and piece by piece dredge the fish pieces in the flour and put into the hot oil. Fry 2 minutes or so on the first side and then a minute or so on the second side until they are nicely browned and done through. If you have thick pieces or a dense fish it may take a bit longer. Once the fish is done remove it to a paper towel lined plate and serve with your accompaniments.


Mango Salsa
  • 1 small can tid-bit pineapple, can use fresh if you have it
  • 1 mango chopped
  • 1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped
  • dash of salt
  • 1 Tbs lemon or lime juice

In a small bowl combine all ingredients and stir well. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes for the flavors to come out.


I normally set it out as you see above and you can compile your own tacos. I like a smear of the sour cream and then a couple pieces of fish topped with the salsa, some cilantro and lettuce. With some chips and guacamole or sliced jicama it is a cool summer dinner and oh so tasty with a cold beer!


2 comments:

  1. Definately my favorite.
    These are great. A good mango puts this as one of my first choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lorin - Greg is going to LOVE you after I try making this! His favorite are fish tacos! Will put this on the top of my "to try lists" now! :) They look awesome!! Charisse

    ReplyDelete