Friday, March 12, 2010

Marmalade

I love marmalade, it can't be just any marmalade though it has to have finer bits of peel and a real acidic flavor. I don't admire the jarringly sweet heavily laden peel versions and this is a great one. I have always relied on my step mom Mary to donate her citrus marmalade to my cause and I have never made the jump to making it on my own but this time I did and it turned out really good.
I used a recipe off of the pectin box but changed it to using 3 oranges, 2 grapefruits and 2 lemons and I made up the measurements they call for with those instead. I also chopped the peal in my food processor so it is nice and fine and when I peeled it off I used my peeler so it made thin translucent strips of peel. Not only a aromatic exercise of pretty as well. It is great warm and glazed on white meats but yummy on toast in the morning with coffee!

1 comment:

  1. There's nothing like homemade marmalade. I like using pink grapefruits, myself - the finished produce has just a hint of the fruit's blush and is very pretty. Someone I never got quite into the toast habit, but I do love some slathered on a nice pound cake!

    - Marsha
    hotwaterbath.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete