Thursday, October 15, 2009

Corned Beef and Cabbage


Jake and I love Corned Beef. It is one of our favorite dinners and it leads into one of our second favorite meals with the leftovers..
I will normally stock up on the corned beef when St Patricks Day comes around and they have them on sale. I freeze them and then when we feel like having it I pull them out of the freezer. I have found that they are much harder to come by and more expensive just any time of year. This was one I had in the freezer and decided we were in the mood for some corned beef so I put one together today on my lunch break. It is an easy dinner because you just have to put it on and let it cook, then when I get home I put the cabbage in and it is really easy and hands off for the most part.



Corned Beef and Cabbage
  • 1 corned beef, this one was 3 lbs
  • spice packet from the corned beef
  • 2 12 oz beers of your choice
  • 1 smaller head of cabbage, cut into wedges

Preheat your oven to 275 degrees. Rinse your corned beef off and place fat side up in a large lidded soup pot. Sprinkle with the contents of the spice packet and pour the beers over the top. Place lid on the pot and place in the oven. Bake for 4 hours. After the 4 hours have gone by take the pot out and place your cabbage in around the beef. Cover again and place in the oven and turn the heat up to 300 degrees. Bake for another 30 minutes until the cabbage is tender.

If you would rather not have the oven on when you are not home you can definately do this in a crock pot and just cook it all day instead of the 4 hours. I have done it this way and it works equally well.

Slice the meat and serve with the cabbage and a good mustard! We also like to eat this with some buttered boiled potatoes. Very satisfying, stay tuned for the best leftover use in the world in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment